Orders to build this late-Renaissance-style Marcellus Chapel were given in 1634 by Philipp Arnold von Ahr, State Komtur of the Teutonic Order Bailiwick of Lorraine and Komtur of Beckingen. This can be seen from the engraving found on the keystone of the entrance arch. The chapel acquired its current neo-Gothic appearance in 1914/15. The Marcellus figurine dates back to the year the chapel was built, while the altar is from the year 1684.